Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Back to the Beginning


It was a Thursday evening and my wife sent me to the grocery store with a list of things to pick up. I cruised up and down the aisles and completed my grocery goals. While in line to check out I saw it waiting for me, my 25 cent guilty pleasure - The Trading Post, a local weekly collection of printed classified ads. Anything and everything is in The Trading Post.

I got home and with a busy evening ahead didn't sit down with The Trading Post until several hours later. My favorite section - section 8, tractors. A lot of the same old stuff, Ford 8N's, John Deere this - John Deere that, and finally the Olivers. . .There it was "Oliver OC-3 with dozer blade, runs and steers good". It had a 715 area code (usually the good stuff is on the other side of the state). I ran a reverse phone look-up http://www.whitepages.com/reverse_phone and it was a cell phone from Black River Falls. It was hard to sleep that night. I called the next day and it was still there (that never happens). I went to work, I had planned on knocking off early that Friday. I skipped out a little earlier than planned and went for a drive.

I found the place and met the owner. He started it up drove it around a little bit and then I had my turn. This was my first time driving a crawler. The most fun you can have at 2mph. Everything did work and I looked it over the best I could. . .I had read up on crawlers and thought I knew what to look for - I didn't, and that is at the core of the rest of the posts on this blog. I left the place knowing someone else was coming to look the next morning. I said, "If the guy doesn't buy it give me a call."

10AM the next day (Saturday) the phone rang. The other interested party didn't buy it. I said I'd have to run some numbers and I'd get back to him. Two hours later I was on the phone and we had a deal.

On Sunday evening I jumped in a pick-up with a very generous and helpful acquaintance that I had met once before. He had a Dodge V10 with a 6 speed and goose neck trailer. The second time I ever drove a crawler was backing up the ramps of a very high goose neck trailer. Let's just say people pay for thrill rides like that at the county fair. . .and 50 year old crawlers don't drive like Bobcats. . .

We got her home after about an hour of driving (the Dodge didn't even know it was back there). It came down the trailer with ease and less drama. . .I got it in the shed and all was well. . .Happiness is a new OC-3 in your shed.

No comments: