Friday, May 25, 2007

Up on Blocks

Upon further inspection (beyond just changing the fluids) I learned that both main drive sprockets were loose. I had read on-line that the stub shafts that these sprockets ride on can get loose and that is what inspired me to grab hold and give them a shake.

To find out the cause of the sprocket wobble I would have to take the tracks off. To take the tracks off I would have to jack up the crawler. The empty weight of the OC-3 (without blade) is around 3700 lbs. The frame has a clearance of 20 inches and is about 18 inches wide. I soon learned getting it up off the ground and safely in place was going to be a bit of work. After two trips to Fleet Farm for some concrete blocks and creative use of my 3 ton floor jack I got it up in the air.

Side Note: Since that time I have taken a lot more heavy parts off the crawler and have in turn changed the center of gravity. I've had to reposition the concrete blocks a couple of times because I noticed the crawler would start to look like a teeter-totter after I would take off a couple hundred pounds of hardware.

No comments: