Sunday, May 27, 2007

Left-sprocket Surprise

After unsuccessfully attempting to get the sprocket off with a pulley puller; I was sitting there looking at that big sprocket pondering what to do next. I noticed something in the grease and started to scrap away the grease and dirt with a screw driver. At first I thought they were lock-washers but then I discovered there was something more. I got a vice-grip and was able to remove two of them. . .some sort of tapered compression retainer?

I only got two off and the other eight were not cooperative. Although they weren't threaded they had to be backed off of the stud like a nut AND they were tight just like a nut. My dad had been going through some of my grandpa's tools and brought me a box of odds and ends. In the box was a vice-grip with curved jaws. . .Curved jaws make a huge difference on a round item like these tapered compression retainers. Six more came off quite easily. Of course, the last two were going to go down with a fight. The end of this chapter has a familiar line: heat, spray, try, walk away - heat, spray, try, walk away - repeat. . .More to come.

No comments: