Friday, May 25, 2007

Left-Side Sprocket - Not as Easy

The left-side sprocket appeared to be in much better shape. It actually had studs in it and it wasn't flopping around due to loose bolts. It was however loose due to some other unknown problem (probably bad bearings).

I got the nuts off without too much trouble and pulled on the sprocket to "slide it off" just like the right side. . .Not. It was stuck?!? What the heck? So I sprayed it down with WD-40 and pounded it on with a BFH ('special' type of hammer). Nothing.

Then I went to Fleet Farm for a pulley puller (did you know Menards doesn't have pulley pullers?). I had to rig up some chains because I couldn't get the pulley puller arms to reach or line up to get a grip. I got the chains (left over swing chains for the kids) in place and started cranking the puller tight. The chain links were starting to bend and that made me think for a minute. I put on my safety glass and three cranks on the wrench later - POP! A nut used to bolt the chains together flew off and landed about 10 feet out of the garage door. Safety glasses are meant to be worn - not hidden in a tool box drawer.
Side note: In the back of my mind I thought I had a pulley puller somewhere. I found it in a drawer after all of this work was done. I guess now I have two. . .






No comments: