Thursday, June 21, 2007

Making Hay. . .

Progress on the OC-3 has slowed a bit because other things have required my attention. An "Oliver" related event took place a couple of weeks ago. It has been about 20 years since I've done some serious haying but I had the opportunity to bale some hay on my father-in-law's hay land.

This was an All-Oliver operation. The Row Crop 77 was used for cutting the hay. My 550 was an outstanding (and fuel efficient) raking tractor. And, the 1600 was a great match for the 520 Oliver baler. The row crop 66 was left at home and I thought it was unfortunate that we didn't find a job for the old girl.

The 520 Oliver baler was found at an auction about a year ago for $35. It broke an axle on the way home from the auction and the replacement axle cost $45 (ten more than the actual baler). The baler is probably a 1962 model. It had a few knot-tying problems that got better with adjustments and usage. All-in all the 45 year old Oliver baler worked quite well.

I was reminded what a hot, dirty, sweaty, and exhausting job it is to bale hay. There is a reason that today's farmers use round balers. However, when you are using "the finest in farm machinery" it makes it worth while.












No comments: