Sunday, September 9, 2007

Back to the 50's Night

In 1955, Bill Haley and the Comets were a radio hit with "Rock Around The Clock". Eisenhower was President. The Brooklyn (Not Los Angeles) Dodgers beat the Yankees in the World Series. James Dean was killed in his Porsche Spyder and McDonald's opened its 9th restaurant. A little bit of time has passed between 1955 and today.



It is probably safe to say that the old Hercules Engine has not been out of the OC-3 frame since it was it was first installed in 1955. I say that because it did not want to leave. It was literally rusted into the frame. All engine mounts were loose but it would not come out. The engine hoist was picking up the engine and frame all at one time.















I couldn't believe it so I crawled all over the frame and engine looking for a bolt that I missed. No bolt was missed. The rear portion of the engine that houses the clutch has two 3"x3" pads of metal that meet up flush with the frame. These tight and flush mounting pads were causing all of the problems - fused by oxidation to the frame. I finally had to bring in my floor jack. I wheeled it under the clutch housing and chained the frame to the floor jack frame - thus creating a modified press. It worked, I was able to press the engine loose.


















I re-hooked the engine hoist and I still had problems. The frame still wanted to come with the engine, so I chained the frame down to the engine hoist frame. Out she came, one 1955 Hercules IXB - 4 cylinder engine (about 300 pounds of iron).

No comments: